A project exploring the connections between poetry and graphic literature.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Re: Ellen Forney Exercise

So now I'm asking myself, how does this connect to what I like in poetry?

I like my poetry to be a bit on the weird side--but still beautiful in some sense. When poetry is strange, it makes things new and exciting. The bizarre and grotesque are compelling to me; they quench my curiosity. I think that one of my most dominant (and valuable) traits is curiosity. It also shows how something repulsive can be beautiful, and something beautiful can be repulsive.

How palatable do you like your comix art to be? What about the text?

I love beautifully-drawn comix--but I don't mind something quirky or stylized now and then (this sounds almost like an inverse to my answer about poetry). I must say that I am drawn to disarmingly beautiful illustrations. I used to be much less interested in poorly-drawn or messy or ugly comix, but I am now more intrigued in them. However, even amidst those I tend toward comix that look intentionally drawn, whether they are beautiful in the traditional sense or not.

The text, however, I prefer to be odder, uglier, or more uncomfortable. Perhaps something about that dissonance does the same thing as the poetry I like; it shows the connections between the beautiful and the repulsive.

So I suppose I might say that I like my poetry and comix to be either beautifully repulsive or repulsively beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment