A project exploring the connections between poetry and graphic literature.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

hello, world

The above image is from the project that first drew my interest into the connection between comics and poetry.

I was required to do a creative response to a Serbian poet of my choice. I chose Vasko Popa. I primarily write poetry, but it felt odd trying to write a poem in response to one of Popa's poems (which, if you are not familiar with Popa, they are rather meticulously composed). So instead I responded with something I have even less of a place to be doing: a graphic adaptation of Popa's central poem cycle, "The Blackbird's Field."

In short, I loved it. The poems translated effortlessly to the page. I wanted to do more, and I wanted to see what other poets/illustrators have done to connect poetry with illustration. So, after the necessary paperwork and coordination, I now have the privelege of doing this project with Arielle. I anticipate that I will learn quite a bit as we read and discuss a variety of comics and articles. Along the way, I will do some graphic poems of my own, as well as some critical/analytical responses.

If you're reading along, I hope that you enjoy the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment